What is Seroquel
Generic Seroquel (Quetiapine) is an antidepressant medicine. It is used in treatment of schizophrenia for adults as well as for children of minimum 13 years of age. The available forms of Quetiapine are: tablet and extended release tablet.Before that make sure to confirm the rewards and hazards of this medication with your health care provider.
How to use Medicine
Seroquel is a prescription medication for oral use. The dosage of this medication depends upon your medical state and how you respond to the treatment, thus it varies from person to person. You need to strictly follow your health care provider`s directions about the dosage. You should not make any changes to the quantity, frequency and duration of the dosage. Observe the time between the two doses carefully. You can take the tablet before or after meals however it is advised to take it before meals or after a light meal.
- Do not take Quetiapine during pregnancy as it is not known whether it is safe for the unborn baby or not. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
- It is not yet proved whether this medication passes into breast milk or not. As far as possible avoid Seroquel if you are breast feeding. If it is essential to take this medication, first consult with your health care provider.
- Seroquel extended release tablet is to be used only for adults and not for children below 18 years of age.
You need to store Quetiapine at room temperature. Make a note to keep it away from heat and moisture. Do not try to store it in a bathroom or kitchen. Make certain that it is away from children`s and pet`s reach. Do not retain any unnecessary and outdated medicine at home; dispose of it without delay. You may discuss with your doctor or the pharmacist, the proper method of discarding this medication.
Seroquel is used to treat schizophrenia, a condition in which the psychological and emotional condition is disturbed. This medication can be used alone or with other medicines in treatment of bipolar disorder which is also called manic depressive disorder.
Seroquel can also be used alone or with other medicines to treat major depressive disorder (MDD). If you wish to know more about the other uses of Seroquel you can talk to the pharmacist at any time when you buy Seroquel at your nearby drugstore.
If you know that you have taken an overdose and if you notice any of the overdose signs seek medical attention right away. You can also call on 1-800-222-1222 for the Poison Control Center or 911 for local emergency services. The overdose signs may include drowsiness, palpitation, fainting etc.
- You must not share your medicine with anyone else although he or she has the same symptoms as you have.
- Avoid driving and using any machinery or equipment that requires attentiveness as Seroquel causes dizziness.
- If you are required to undergo any type of surgery let your surgeon know that you are currently taking Seroquel.
- Do not start taking any new medicine without your doctor`s consultation.
- Take care not to be in a situation where you experience dehydration; during exercise and also during the hot season.
- You may feel dizzy if you get up fast from the chair or bed. To avoid falling, get up slowly from a sitting or sleeping position.
Seroquel Side effects
Along with the desired effects Seroquel also has some side effects just like any other medication. A few of them are listed here:
If you discover any of these side effects causing discomfort, contact your doctor without delay. It is unlikely that all who use Seroquel
may experience these side effects. One thing you can be sure of is that your health care provider identifies your medical situation and also understands that the benefits of this medication are definitely higher for you than any possible risks involved with it, and that is reason for him or her to prescribe this medication for you.
It is suggested that before you use Seroquel
, you need to inform your health care professional if at present you are taking any medicines, herbal products, or supplements. There are many drugs which interact with Quetiapine. Some of them can be listed as follows:
- Drugs for high blood pressure
- Drugs for Parkinson`s disease
This list does not comprise all the likely medicines that interact with Seroquel
. You can talk to your doctor or also to the pharmacist to know more about Seroquel
If you come to know that you have missed your dose, take it without delay once you remember it. However, if your next dose timing is just about due, then leave out the missed dose and take just the normal scheduled dose. Do not try to take two doses collectively to compensate for the missed dose.
25, 50, 100, 200, 300 mg
30, 60, 90, 120, 180 pills